GRAND ISLAND, Neb. (AP) — Authorities have rescued goats, rabbits, a tortoise, a dog and more than 200 chickens found on a Grand Island property.
The animals were seized Thursday and Friday. An animal control officer said some of the animals were dying as they were being moved. Several carcasses also were found, as well as chicken bones.
Officials say the property owner is being cited for the excessive number of animals on the property, their condition and the lack of shelter, food and water.
HASTINGS, Neb. (AP) —Authorities say a 72-year-old man died after a physical altercation in Hastings.
Station KSNB reports that officers were sent to help an unresponsive man around 1 p.m. Tuesday. They and medics tried to revive him, but he died later at a Hastings hospital.
The man's name hasn't been released.
Police say officers arrested a 57-year-old man on suspicion of assault by mutual consent. Online court records don't show that he's been formally charged.
SCHUYLER, Neb. (AP) — Neighbors who don't want a chicken feeding operation in their eastern Nebraska community have sued the Colfax County Board
of Commissioners for approving a permit.
The lawsuit was filed June 19 against the board, commissioners and the two men who sought the permit, Thomas and Josh Faltys (FAHL'-tiss).
The nine plaintiffs seek no damages but do want a judge to overturn the commissioners' May 22 permit approval for a maximum 380,000-chicken feeding operation. The plaintiffs say among their allegations that the operation "will cause great and irreparable harm because it will severely diminish their property rights."
The operation would be erected southeast of Clarkson. Josh Faltys and his brother, Clint, want to contract with the planned Costco poultry plant in Fremont.
The county attorney and Josh Faltys didn't immediately return calls Thursday from The Associated Press.
GRAND ISLAND, Neb. (AP) — A 24-year-old man has been convicted of murder in Grand Island.
A jury deliberated less than five hours Monday before finding Ahmed Said guilty of second-degree murder. Court records say he fatally beat 41-year-old Abdulma Khamis on April 12 last year at Pioneer Park.
A portion of the crime was captured on security video from a nearby car dealership.
Said is scheduled to be sentenced Aug. 28.
KEARNEY, Neb. (AP) — Police say they aren't giving up on a 10-year-old central Nebraska homicide case and are still actively pursuing leads despite having no suspects.
Kearney Police Department Captain Mike Kirkwood tells the Kearney Hub that officers work on the Kelcey Fike murder investigation on almost a daily basis. He says police remain confident they'll find Fike's killer, particularly once technology advances to test and decipher the DNA found on the victim's body.
Kirkwood has shared more details about Fike's death at her trailer in Kearney in June 2008. He says police believe there's a high probability the killer knew Fike and that an attempted sexual assault may have occurred.
An autopsy found that Fike died of a ligature strangulation and blunt force trauma to the torso and head.
BEATRICE, Neb. (AP) — A Nebraska county will seek further review of a $28.1 million judgment awarded to six people who were wrongfully convicted of murder.
On Monday a three-judge panel of the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals declined to overturn the jury's 2016 verdict against Gage County and two former law enforcement officials.
The Gage County Board of Supervisors voted unanimously Wednesday to ask that the entire 8th U.S. Circuit Appeals Court review the appeal.
Patrick O'Brien is one of the attorneys representing Gage County, and he says rehearings of appeals are rarely granted. He says the county could appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court if the rehearing were not granted.
The verdict was awarded to the Beatrice Six for their wrongful convictions in the 1985 rape and killing of 68-year-old Helen Wilson. They spent more than 75 years combined in prison until DNA evidence cleared them in 2008.
NORTH PLATTE,Neb. (June 11, 2018) — As part of an international movement, the American Red Cross is launching the Missing Types campaign today to recruit new blood donors – and those who have not given recently – to ensure lifesaving blood is available for patients.
During the Missing Types campaign, the letters A, B and O – the main blood groups – will disappear from brands, social media pages, signs and websites to illustrate the critical role every blood donor plays. When the letters A, B and O vanish from everyday life, the gaps are striking. And when A, B and O blood types are missing from hospital shelves, patient care could be impacted.
“Unfortunately, blood shortages still happen and the number of new Red Cross blood donors is shrinking each year,” said Cliff Numark, senior vice president, Red Cross Blood Services. “That’s why the Red Cross is asking those who have never donated blood and those who haven’t given in a while to make a lifesaving donation. You are the missing type patients need.”
Don’t wait until the letters A, B and O go missing from hospital shelves. Join the #MissingType movement today – make an appointment to give blood by visiting RedCrossBlood.org/MissingTypes, using the Red Cross Blood Donor Appor calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).