Registration for spring classes is just around the corner at Mid-Plains Community College. Spring registration opens for returning students Oct. 14 at all campus locations. It opens for new students Oct. 21.
MPCC offers a variety of options for taking classes, making it easy for students to pursue a postsecondary education at a time convenient for them. Course schedules can be viewed online at mpcc.edu/course-schedules.
On-site, online, distance learning and Sunday College formats are all available. MPCC also has a dual credit program, which allows high school students to save time and money by taking classes that count for both high school and college credit simultaneously.
The first round of spring classes will begin in January. It is recommended that those interested in registering make an appointment with an advisor first by calling (308) 535-3701 in North Platte or (308) 345-8102 in McCook.
MPCC provides numerous scholarships, grants and loans to qualified students. For more information about financial assistance, call (308) 535-3705 in North Platte, or (308) 345-8111 in McCook.
St Mary's Parish
At approximately 5:44 PM on Monday, February 4th , the City of McCook Fire Department responded to a reported fire at 811 East 2 nd Street. Upon arrival of the fire department at 5:46 PM, personnel reported heavy smoke and fire coming from the rear of the structure. Two occupants were able to escape the structure by exiting the front door. Crews quickly extinguished the fire that burned up the exterior of the back of the house and into a bedroom through a window.
The fire was under control within five minutes of the arrival of the fire department and before the fire could extend further into the interior of the home.
The resident of the structure, Mr. Jonathan Scott, reported that he was in the house, along with another resident, when all of the lights went out. Mr. Scott exited the structure and went around to the back yard where a generator was located that was supplying electricity to the house. Mr. Scott found the generator and several items around it, along with the siding of the house on fire. Mr. Scott went back into the home and advised the other resident of the fire. They both began looking for their pet cats and, when the smoke became too intense, they exited the structure.
Fire damage was contained to exterior of the back of the home while there was smoke damage throughout the home. The home was valued at just over $27,000 and $15,000 for the contents. Initial damage estimates were at $10,000 on the structure and $1,000 to the contents.
Members of the fire department completed the investigation and determined that the fire started in the rear of the structure from gasoline fumes being emitted from a gas powered generator. The fumes ignited and quickly spread to nearby combustible materials and the exterior of the home itself.
The Red Cross was notified and provided the resident with assistance.
Sixteen firefighters, two pumpers, one ladder truck, one ambulance and one command vehicle were on the scene for approximately 1 ½ hours making sure the fire had not spread into the interior and clearing smoke out of the structure.